Tuesday, October 14, 2008

all i need to know i learned in kindergarten

I have had some interesting jobs the past few years. My greatest adventure took place last year as I attempted to teach, more like survive kindergarten. Normally a teacher is licensed and has had a few years to gather ideas, learn discipline techniques that actually work, and has had experience in a classroom. I decided to take a different route and jumped in the deep end of the pool knowing that I did not know how to swim. I didn't even attempt to put on arm floaties before I jumped in. I went running so fast into the pool that I didn't have time to think about how I was going to swim. My options were to sink or swim. So I started doggy paddling as fast as I could. It's amazing how I was supposed to be the teacher and yet I think I did the most learning.



I have to admit, there were days I wondered if my students would ever learn the difference between the letters b, d, p and q. I wondered if they'd learn that a chair is for sitting in and is not some sort of devise used for getting from point A to point B across the room. I wondered if they'd learn that they have the potential to become the doctors, scientists, police officers, artists, bakers, teachers, mothers, fathers, etc. that they pretended to be at play time.

It was quite an experience. Looking back now, I'm grateful for the experience. But I'm even more grateful that I realized it's not my passion. It takes an amazing person to be able to teach and shape the lives of these little critters. It takes a passion to survive. It gives me a greater appreciation for teachers who do it from year to year.

No comments: