Friday, October 2, 2009

Since When is 31 Considered Old?

I finally took the plunge, to a new ward that is. As much as I loved being the mother hen of my former ward, it feels great to be a baby chick again. I was in my former ward for 4 years. Needless to say, I was very comfortable and could probably name every member in the ward. I had a blast in that ward and made so many life-long friends.

A few months before my last birthday, I approached my bishop and told him I’d be turning 31. Not 31!!! That’s the official booting age in a student ward. I asked him what his rules were and was ready to accept his answer that I would have to move to another ward. He was so kind and told me I could stay as long as I needed. That was a relief. But at the same time, I wasn’t sure what I was supposed to do.

It’s not the most fun thing going to church and trying to relate to a 20 year old who thinks she’s never getting married because she just broke up with her boyfriend. The best part is when the 20 year old finds out my age. Once the shocked, bug-eye expression disappears from her face, she asks me how I’ve done it. Done what? Managed to keep a smile on my face because I’m single? I didn’t know that happiness begins once you get married. In fact, I’ve heard just the opposite.

Anyways, my bishop gave me permission to stay in the ward. I decided to stay for a little while and explore my options. I did go and check out an “older” ward in Salt Lake. I’ll admit I was a little freaked out. These people were not only balding, but they had wrinkles and kept calling me darling. I was waiting for someone’s dentures to fall out during one of the hymns. I wondered how they play church basketball with all the walkers in the way. I felt so out of place. So, I continued to go to my old ward for a few more months. As summer came, the ward changed due to school ending and people coming and going for work opportunities. It was such a young crowd that moved in. I got more and more antsy and knew I needed to move on.

After much fasting and praying, I decided to attend the “Senior Citizen” ward once again with a different attitude. Low and behold, this time around it was so different. People were so kind to me and they were really welcoming. Yes, there are some people who are balding. But as I listened to them talk, teach the lessons and share their testimonies, I realized that people are in the same boat that I am in, and we can relate to each other. I can carry on a normal conversation with them. It’s such a drastic change talking to a 30-something year old compared to an 18 year old. I decided to give the ward a try. Now, not just anyone can attend. They have strict rules, which helps enforce that if you’re coming to the ward, you’ll have a calling and be active. It screens out the folks that are ward hopping. I’ve been there a month and have proven that I will be active. Next comes an interview with one of the counselors and then the bishop. Once the bishop has met me and knows I’m serious about attending this ward, he’ll request my records. I guess what I’m saying, is that I’m off the hook with a calling and visiting teaching for a month or two. I should enjoy the free time while I have it.

I’m looking forward to the new friends that I’ll meet and the new experiences waiting to happen. Who knows if Mr. Right attends this ward. I’d like to be hopeful and keep my fingers crossed. But I’m taking a new approach and not worrying about it. I attend church for the spiritual side of thing and for the fun of it all. If I happen to meet an amazing guy, that’s just icing on the cake!

1 comment:

The Gentry's said...

I love the pic on top! Isn't it funny how it is hard to let go of the 20's. I'm glad that you seem to be enjoying the new ward.