Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Halfway to 62

On Monday I celebrated my 31st birthday. Do you know how hard is for me to admit that I'm halfway to 62? I'm single, living in Utah, still attending a singles ward, and attempting to embrace the fact that my child bearing days are not over. Heck, they haven't even begun. In an attempt to make me feel better my friend kept referring to it as the 10th anniversary of my 21st birthday. Yahoo! That makes me feel so much better. All of a sudden I feel 22 again.

The day began with waking up with a sinus infection. A few hours later I treated myself to a trip to the dentist. I wanted him to be able to share in the joy of such a wonderful day. In addition to my new purple toothbrush, he gave me a birthday gift... an appointment for a root canal. How thoughtful. How did he know that's exactly what I wanted for my birthday? The gifts get better and better each year.

So this is what 31 feels like? It's overrated. Now I know why people start drinking. Even though my morning started out quite delightful, the evening brought on the real reason I loved turning 31.It was a great excuse for a party and to surround myself with great friends. I guess you could say by the expressions on their faces that they were:
  • Shocked because I don't look a day over 24
  • Happy for me because at least this explains the gray hair I keep yanking out
  • Super excited because now I get the trophy for being the oldest member of our singles ward
  • Completed disgusted that I'm closer to 62 than they are
  • and happy because it means free cake for them
I bribed them with cake to be normal for 2 seconds. They let me win our competitive game of Apples to Apples.
And, I got my favorite hot chocolate from 7-11. Thanks Kevin!
I guess turning 31 isn't so bad after all.

2 comments:

The Gentry's said...

I'm so sorry I missed it. I'm glad you got to have a fun party that night. Just look past the morning as if it never happened. Although dentists are pretty cool people ;)
We'll have to celebrate the next time I see you. Hopefully it will be sooner than later!

andrea white said...

hey love the pictures. but there's no pictures of you blowing out the candles? bummer. looked like it was a blast!